Advanced Studies Magnet - Haut Gap Middle School has quite a history. The school began as Haut Gap High School in 1951, servicing the Black school age population of Johns and Wadmalaw Islands. School began with an auditorium, a kitchen, boys' and girls' restrooms, and six classrooms. Later on a library, science laboratory, home economics room, and social studies classrooms were added. The first graduating class consisted of 5 students. In 1958-1959 construction began on an elementary school wing. The elementary schools were closed and the islands had one school, Haut Gap High School, which housed 1200 students (Powers).
During the 1968 - 1969 school year, The Freedom of Choice Act was initiated and a middle school was built (Powers). This ended Haut Gap High School and began Haut Gap Middle School. In the fall of 2009, Haut Gap Middle gained partial magnet status and started the Academic Magnet Program. In February 2010, the middle school was moved into a state-of-the-art building and in the fall of 2010 a 5th grade Pre-Magnet was added to the already formed grades 6-8.
Advanced Studies Magnet - Haut Gap Middle School is currently a 5 - 8 partial magnet middle school on Johns Island, South Carolina.
Historical Information obtained from:
Powers, Lillian F. "A History of Haut Gap High School." Family Origins Tree. August 23, 2012.